Re: XParc's Report on Gnutella

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 20:55:10 PDT

Well you guys should check it out! It attempts to solve the problem via
a virtual economy. Makes sense to me- you've got scarcity in systems
like Gnutella- whether that be bandwidth, cpu cycles for search processes,
storage, etc. You just need a way to have it all "balance"- and a market
can try to do that. Go read their site for 5 minutes when you get a
chance: http://www.mojonation.com/

If everything from Freenet to Gnutella is going to end up collapsing after
6 months due to freeloading, then this type of solution may be the only
answer.

--
Brian Atkins
Director, Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence