Re: Why the Web Succeeded.

CobraBoy! (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:25:48 -0700

I Find Karma around 4:41 PM -0700 on 9/15/97, made things perfectly clear
with this:

>it sucks. :)
>anything else
> > See, Joe, I told you he was smarter than that. (But Adam, in what
> > category is it "better than anything else"?)
>
> Distributed referral, semantic markup, and transport / exchange /
> dissemination of bits of information. It stands here and now in 1997 as
> the world's only truly working, global distributed object and document
> information exchange system.

yeah yeah yeah

> The Web is end-all only in the sense that the philosophy of the Web, for
> better or worse, was realistic enough to work on such a global scale.
> These principles include the decentralizing the trust management and
> information storage, using tags to say precisely what you mean, linking
> naming to ownership, and allowing the system to be robust enough that
> brittle local failures don't bring the global whole system down.

the web succeeded for a very simple basic reason. it came essentially "from
the streets" while there are the C|NET's of the world, there are a whole
lot more www. mywebsite.com. to put it simply as much as I hate to say it,
it was the total lack of good design that makes it attractive to the
unwashed masses. couple that with the basic information aspect and there
you go.

I remember my first commerical web site and I received more mail chastising
the site for being "slick" and "well designed" than complements. of course
that was 15 web years ago, (one RL year being = to 7.5 web years) but it
taught me alot about what people wanted.

Tim

-

Care about people's approval and you will be their prisoner.
-Toa Te Ching

<>tbyars@earthlink.net <>