Re: Warring standards over color names

Bert Bos (Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 10:37:59 +0100

Rohit Khare writes:
> Ah, the HTML battles never cease...
>
> > . OmniWeb now supports all 140 named colors that
> > Netscape does.
> >
> > Interestingly, named colors were an Internet Explorer
> > innovation, but IE only had about 10 of them.
>
> Bert, how 'bout a "Predefined color-like tokens" draft? :-)
> You could mark it up in NetscapeHTML so everyone knows *exactly* which shades
> to use...

Rohit, can you check the following rough draft of our new
device-independent-color-like-tint-names working draft?

WD-stdcolors(rohit)-960223.html

This is a working draft. It shouldn't be cited otherwise than
as "work in progress". etc. etc.

This text defines a list of device independent colr
names. Typical usage is:

<BODY STYLE="background:xxx">

where xxx is one of the names defined below. Mapping to RGB is
device specific and must be done on a case by case basis by an
expert from the south of France.

name definition
---- ----------
red the color of the sun in the last moments
before it sets
blue the color of the Mediteranean Sea off the
coast of the French Riviera
white the color of fresh snow on the mountains north
of Nice
orange the color of the fruit of that name
black the color of the cat that forebodes evil
brown the color of cafe-au-lait, after the top level
of cream has been removed with a spoon
gray the color of the sky anywhere else than above
the Cote d'Azur

Bert

  bert@w3.org                                  INRIA project RODEO/W3C
  http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/People/Bos/   2004 Rt des Lucioles / BP 93
  +33 93 65 77 71                 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France