Re: one projection about the open source market

From: Wayne E Baisley (wbaisley@enspherics.com)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2001 - 19:27:41 PST

> No, it was Dec Unix, or at least they called it 'Dec Unix', on a Mips
> chip (I believe that was the processor, it was definitely risc).

If it was a MIPS chip, it was even before OSF -- It was Ultrix. Which
is Latin for female avenger (masculine is Ultor). Which is how we get
eunuchs, of course. I still have an Ultrix coffee mug, for drinking
snake-oil, natch.

> Anybody else know how to do a Vampire tap on thick-ethernet?

In my sleep. Or at least in the dark, which is how most plena (plural
for plenum) are. Carpe jugulum.

> I also hacked a bunch of DMA I/O boards for M.Vax II's for GE.

COMM IOP/DZs (or their QBus equivalents), perchance? I go as far back
as the PDP-11/05. And the 6800, shortly thereafter. "Oh, we used to
DREAM of living in corridor."

Cheers,
Wayne

I don't remember what it was like to go back home.
I only know it was cold and white and I was alone.
Leo Kottke