Re: Comments please

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 13:09:29 PST

Jeffrey Kay <jkay@ENGENIA.COM> wrote:

>Most of what we pay for when we buy audio CDs are the atoms and their
>distribution.

Surely not. It's mostly the A&R, the marketing, etc.

>Like all DRM, it protects the content hopefully to the extent that
>the price of the content is lower than the cost of defeating the
>protection scheme. That is, of course, where all DRM has failed to
>date -- the cost of defeating the protection scheme tends to be very
>low. DeCSS and "unfuck" were two great examples of that.

In particular, the cost of defeating a DRM is negative for some
people, i.e. they do it for fun, for its own sake, for political
reasons, rather than to get at the protected content.

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch      fanf@covalent.net      dot@dotat.at
HUMBER THAMES DOVER WIGHT: SOUTHWESTERLY 4 OR 5, OCCASIONALLY 6 IN DOVER AND