Re: Rimm Job?

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragen@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 12:53:30 PDT

Thos. Stewart quotes AOL-style:
> <<Let me put it this way. There exists in the technology world only one
> messaging solution that is a) not aimed at consumers; b) is not an expensive
> toy; c) is not a fashion accessory; c) is completely practical, here now and
> ready to empower sales forces and traveling professionals everywhere, and d)
> cannot possibly fail because the Canadian government is pouring more money in
> the backdoor than these guys can possibly spend on marketing in three
> lifetimes. You have, I believe, correctly identified the near future 800
> pound gorilla of the electronic messaging world. Palm and CE are
> claimers--RIMM (Blackberry) is Secretariat.>>
>
> So far as I know, the principal effect of Canadian subsidies has been the
> production of too many films starring Donald Sutherland. Does anyone know
> about this technology?

I'm not sure what the "technology world" or a "messaging solution" are,
let alone "expensive toy" or "fashion accessory". I mean, I have some
idea what the terms are supposed to mean, but they are so vague I can't
say with any degree of confidence what they include or exclude. But
I've been using a RIM "Blackberry" pager, from "Research In Motion",
for the last few weeks.

It is much more usable than I imagined a 2.5"x3.5"x1" wireless email
terminal could be. I've written hundreds of lines of Perl code on it,
submitted tens of batch jobs from it, and I can type roughly 25-30 wpm
on it.

The battery lasts several days of non-use, or several hours of constant
use, without recharging.

I haven't tried using a Palm on a regular basis, although they seem
much nicer than the RIM pager from my brief trial uses.

I have written at length and in detail about my recent experience with
the machine on kragen-journal; send email to
kragen-journal-list@kragen.dnaco.net for a list of recent posts.

Your correspondent's inability to spell RIM suggests either that they
are dyslexic or that do not have firsthand experience with the device.
Are they dyslexic?

The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08.  Hurrah!
The power didn't go out on 2000-01-01 either.  :)