Buddy, can you spare some cycles?

From: Gordon Mohr (gojomo@usa.net)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 14:48:12 PDT

Yet another "harvest unused cycles" startup, "United Devices":

    http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/monday/business_14.html

I might have to root for this one, with it being based in Austin, and
having as its CTO David Anderson -- the SETI@Home director and, even more
importantly, professor of my favorite college CS course (OS Concepts).

United Devices joins a crowded field of startups -- PopularPower,
ProcessTree, Centrata, Porivo -- and of course open-source projects
like Cosm.

It seems to me that an even bigger waste than unused CPU cycles is
the number of startups chasing duplicate business models. Thus I'm
happy to announce my new project, Purposa.com.

After downloading a small multi-platform client module, a startup's
business plan will be uploaded to the Purposa servers, which will use
patented expert-driven algorithms (*) to ascertain if the startup is
wasting its time pursuing an idea that smarter, better-funded,
more-disciplined teams have already nailed.

If the startup is hopelessly derivative, an alternate, more-original
business plan well-suited to the founding team is downloaded. This
usually involves opening an Arby's franchise.

Idea sources and sinks will be rewarded via a system of pre-IPO
equity microbarter.

"Purposa: Restoring A Sense of Unique Purpose To The Dot-conomy."

- Gordon

(*) Actually, we'll just forward the plans to FoRK, then measure
how many words of ridicule they earn from Adam Beberg.