RE: [HTTPfutures] Dan Connolly on HTTP goofs and musings / Two Way Web

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol (gtn@ebt.com)
Date: Sat Aug 19 2000 - 21:57:28 PDT

> Architects use protocols to enable a defined set of communication. The
> degree to which that communication is visible to intermediaries determines
> whether or not it can be safely passed through a firewall. Now what is
> it about HTTP that makes it different from RPC, and thus safe for transfer
> through firewalls?

hackability. I can get a hacked system running in 3 days, instead of a
designed system in 3 months. People feel safe when they get the early
wins.

In time to market vs safety/speed/reliability, time to market
wins friends and influences people. The WWW itself is a prime
example: the original HTML and HTTP both had huge holes in
them, but they took over the world. They still have warts, but
most of the holes have/are being plugged.