Re: Prozac for everyone.

From: Lorin Rivers (lrivers@realsoftware.com)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 14:16:40 PDT

At 11:50 PM -0500 8/17/2000, cdale@silly.techmonkeys.net wrote:
>My problem with Prozac is exactly what the topic says: they throw it at
>everyone. Alcohol problems? Anger problems? Have 3 kids you're
>supporting by yourself? Twisted an ankle? Here! Have some prozac!
>While I've seen it work in life-saving ways (brings my ex gf out of
>suicidal depression with a SNAP), each case must be considered
>individually. IMO, medication should be the last straw, the first being
>an in-depth study of the patient's background, family history, present
>state of life, etc. I can personally bring myself out of deep depression
>by writing my way out of it, thanks to the suggestion of a kind counsellor
>I had about 12 years ago. I know it's not quite that simple for some, but
>it seems that going to a shrink is like going through the justice system
>lately. Fast food medicine for a fast food world? None for me, thanks.
>Cindy
>
> "A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the
>point of doubtful sanity."
> -- Robert Frost

Any tool can be misused...

For the truly depressed (thankfully, not something I have a problem
with) there is no alternative. I think a combination of medication
and therapy has the best chance of helping people cope with wacky
neurotransmitter balance. Meds to help the balance, therapy to help
deal with the effects of a life where the balance is not what it
could be (and probably wasn't in balance before).

Medication can allow people to function at a level they never would
be able to without it. I do think it can be over prescribed, but like
everything else, most Doctors, mechanics, painters, cooks, and so on
are not that good (not incompetent, just not that good)

--

Lorin Rivers 512.263.1233 x712 v Product Manager 512.263.1441 f REAL Software, Inc. mailto:lrivers@realsoftware.com PMB 220 http://www.realsoftware.com 3300 Bee Caves Road, Suite 650 Austin, Texas 78746 REALbasic: the visual, object-oriented BASIC development environment for the Macintosh