RE: IBM 76.8Gb ultra dma/100 hard drive at Fry's for $375...

From: Udhay Shankar N (udhay@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 09:45:50 PST

At 03:30 PM 12/28/00 -0500, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:
>And I think we're already at the point where you can simply cache
>(forever) every Web page, every graphic, etc. that you view, if only
>browsers could index n GB caches.

I think we'll soon be at the point where there is no meaningful difference
between hard disk latency and network latency. The only reason to cache
content then will be paranoia (not that there's anything wrong with *that* :)

Udhay

PS: I seem to remember an issue of TBTF from 18-24 months ago that talked
about some test broadband service being faster than the local hard disk
seektimes - can't find a reference though - either on my local cache or the
tbtf.com site. I'll tell you what I need - better semantic searching tools.

      God is silent. Now if we can only get Man to shut up.