Re: [XML Magazine] A Chat with Jeremie Miller

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 16:13:46 PST

Adam Rifkin <adam@KnowNow.com> wrote:
>Jeremie Miller said to XML Magazine:
>> E-mail servers act 100 percent on a peer-to-peer basis. Every e-mail
>> server -- SMTP server -- can talk to every other SMTP server equally in
>> a network.
>
>Then why was the TURN command invented?

Demon Internet does SMTP delivery to dial-up users; it also gives each
user their own IP address. You can't do SMTP delivery to a dial-up
securely unless each user has their own IP address: if addresses are
shared (which is the usual situation) there is a race between login
triggering SMTP delivery and another user logging in and getting the
same IP address and hence the first user's mail. If the SMTP
connection is made in the opposite direction the race is avoided.

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"If I didn't see it with my own eyes I would never have believed it!"