Re: Staying with Sprint?

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@rpcp.MIT.EDU)
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 15:02:22 -0400

At 10:30 AM 6/8/99 -0700, Rohit Khare wrote:
>It's crunch time to decide on what calling plan to keep, since I want
>to print business cards today. I'm currently paying $50 a month for
>500 minutes, anytime, anywhere *on their network*, no long distance,
>and (finally!) text messaging.

This deal is the thing that attracted me to Sprint, but I ended up going
with 350 peak, 500 off peak for $50, plus LD. I didn't know my usage profile
very well but I figured I'd get around 800 minutes for $60. Turns out, I
don't use my phone that much, and I'd be better if I shifted to the 50/500,
but they don't offer it anymore! But, even with the deal I got, it's not the
end of the world ($60), and I got lots of time should I ever need it.

>Plans seem to have gotten a lot more expensive: AT&T is $90 for 600

Yep. And should prices drop, I now have a very nice usage profile of myself,
so I could just plug the rates in the spreadsheet and be able to figure the
best pretty quickly. (I tried to get my previous landline usage data from
Nynex, but no go.)

>If I stay with Sprint, I desperately have to replace my old clunker.
>The successor model is a Samsung 2010, a Li-ion version with voice
>dialing and voice memo (and headset support).

I don't think that much of it, even though it got an award:
http://www.wirelessweek.com/industry/style.htm

I'll stick with my Sony till something truly better comes along, like:

>cool. The Qualcomm 1960 thinphone has a built in 4-day battery and
>comes in at 4.23 ounces.
>http://www.qualcomm.com/cdma/phones/portables/ (click QCP-1960, get .pdf).

but it's not clear it will have a vibrating ringer, and of course when?

>a voicemail greeting with my new number but 5) the new thin phone
>won't be out for another month, but it ought to be $99 (so not as
>chic as you'd think, of course

Is that optimistic?
Regards, http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/
Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
independent research account