Re: Oh, the trials of LaMacchia

Brian A. LaMacchia (bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu)
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 03:23:02 -0400

At 07:21 PM 6/26/97 -0400, Rohit Khare wrote:
>[I can think of at least one FoRKer who should have brought this to our
>attention sooner :-)]

[Declan's column elided...]

Oh, give me a break, Rohit. I was on a plane, doing my TravelMan
immitation.
I've already sent Declan my comments on his reporting; he knows better than
this stuff he wrote.

The single new bit out of that column is that BSA appears to be pushing for
a zero dollar minimum threshold for criminal (non-profit) infringement.
The bill Leahy (no friend of the net) introduced last year was $5K
misdemeanor/$10K felony. Under the BSA plan (as presented to & by Declan),
copy a single floppy and you land in the pokey.

--bal