Re: Velobahn by Akamba...

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 02:11:09 PDT

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Adam Rifkin wrote:

> What a beautiful animation... click on "see how it works"...
>
> http://www.akamba.com/products/velobahn.jsp
>
> This looks like an incredibly smart TCP adaptor. Anyone else know
> anything about this product and company besides what's at the website?

Ooo, spiffy...

The animation looks alot like a trick I've used many times. Only we used
another server rather then a $3,000 card (for that $ use 6 other servers)

Anyway, very simple algorithm... you queue up requests as always, say for a
webpage /geekporn/G4-VHDL.html or a database page. Now when you get around
to servicing the request, you stuff the results in network buffers to all
the hosts wanting it, not just the one at the front of the queue.

Their hardware looks like a TCP cache for all that stuffing, you can stuff
and go, instead of stuff and service.

If Apache doesn't do this already, it should try and hack it in somehow.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg - beberg@mithral.com
  CTO, Mithral Communications & Design Inc.
  Home of the Cosm Project
  http://www.mithral.com/