Re: gore's speech

From: JTS - MCDLXXXVI (jts7@duke.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 13:17:36 PST

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Jeff Bone wrote:
> Oh, wait, wow, here's a radical idea: why don't we just elect the president
> *directly?*

Because that sucks. Until you change the constitution, which isn't
likely, it won't happen. And that's a major revision - especially with
the system you propose. The federal govt running an election? Sheesh.
And you thought states were bad. The first national election would
resemble New Mexico with a rash and a 12-beer drunk on.

> In fact, why don't we do it *online,* and if you don't have
> connectivity we'll still have polling areas set up with net boxes to
> use? Voter registration etc. and authentication could work just
> exactly like it does with absentee ballots currently, votes are
> recorded / counted *instantly,* and we know who the president is *same
> day.*
> Nah, makes too much sense.

On second thought, please do. Ooooooh, the joys of that. Voter fraud at
an all time high then, even before the script kiddies and the true
crackers get in on the action.

        JTS