Re: CORBA and COM just don't mix

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 23:03:02 +0300

At 10:15 AM 6/17/97 -0700, Joe Kiniry wrote:
>Yobie Benjamin writes:
> > I'm not sure if great software is always a necessity. Intuit's Quicken
> > is fundamentally a calculator but I find it better than writing my own
> > <sic> Excel macros to do my books. Software (...even one poorly written
> > algorithms) that solves _real_ problems for people is far more powerful
> > than programmatically elegant shit.
>
>well, certainly from financiers, executives, managers, and m$'s point
>of view, great software is not a necessity. in fact, they don't care
>about the technology _at all_. all they care is that the problem is
>sort-of solved, most of the time, and looks pretty.
>
>fuck that.
>
>who's with me?! talk about a coup! one well-placed mini-nuke...

Sign me up, you know that. I'm ready to get the revolution going
any time now.
Heck, I've been so caught up in getting the infrastructure 'just right' that
I've held off developing any app objects for close on 2 years now, till it
was all 'ready'. Talk about insisting on perfect technology - 'tis time
to let go,and get going. Let's get started.... what to do about those vomiting
cockroaches though? They're gonna mess everything up, you know.

(Tim wrote:)
> Anyone remember HyperCard? Software programming for the masses? Remember
> what was produced? An endless stream of calculators, recipe books, and
> Album cataloging stacks.

>gee, yeah, sounds like the first year of java's lifecycle and 99% of
>the crappy eight-hundred page books on the shelf at your local
>supermarket.
>
>can anyone explain to me why the books on a popular (comprehensive,
>somewhat complex, OO) programming language are _shorter_ than the
>books on a web browser?!

In all honesty, I believe the single biggest reason for the phenomena
addressed above (Hypercard, early Java) is that without proper
distribution, they are simply toys. No real business application
exists as a purely local app, or applet. That's why the only stuff
produced with such tools (throw OpenDoc in the mix here) is
toys & trinkets. Once we get a real distribution model in place,
(and no, JEDI doesn't count), let's see what happens then.

Ron.