Re: human cloning

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 08:04:15 PDT

John Klassa writes:

> You're a couple with a baby on the way. You decide you don't want kids
> right now, for whatever reason, so you abort the fetus. Before you do,
> you store some DNA away. A few years later, you "recreate" him/her when
> it's convenient for you.

Inasmuch is this different from keeping a few frozen embryos in
cryostorage, and carrying them out when you think it's ok? They do
that now, you know.

I thought you would have mentioned two homosexual people having a
biological child, or using microcephalic/lobotomized self clones kept
in pens for organ transplants, and the like. Dirty Tleilaxu stuff.

> Maybe it's just that out-dated, narrow-minded, judgmental Christian
> mindset of mine showing through, but this doesn't seem right to me.

Who get hurts here? I don't quite see that, and abstract "doesn't seem
right" is imo not sufficient reason. As you know, anaesthetics also
didn't seem right at a time (because God designed us to suffer) and
heavier than air flight is also wasn't right (orelse we would have
wings), etc.